- Bolus of food swallowed down oesophagus by peristalsis
- Food ingested into mouth, broken down mechanically (teeth) and chemically (amylase)
- Food mix (chyme) squirted into duodenum where bile (from liver) neutralises it and emulsifies fats
- Food held in stomach. Acid kills bacteria, pepsin breaks down protein
- Colon absorbs water. Rectum collects waste before egestion
- Enzymes (from pancreas) break down food in duodenum. Monomers absorbed into blood through villi on gut wall of ileum.
Next or Contents